Monday 9 July 2007

Our blocked bathtub drain and the Plumber

Well I had been putting off calling the plumber, miraculously hoping the situation would get better but alas it had been getting worse. Our bathtub takes about 4? hours to drain due to being very very blocked. And before you say that it's my hair, it's not. I don't often wash my hair and when I do I don't let it wash down the drain at all.

So anyway, I called for the plumber to come (thinking, you know, that he'd be here very soon) and so I waited, and waited... 4 hours later still no plumber so I called again. After I did it, the secretary was very apologetic and said that she'd call him again and whaddya know? He comes in literally 30 seconds!

It turns out it's a 'big' job and for that he says he'll have to charge me. Immediately my defences go up and I'm like, "What? But it's been like that ever since we first moved in! We were never charged for anything before..." the whole time thinking it's going to be some exhorbitant cost.

So I ask him how much it'll cost and he says 30RMB (less than $5). I'm thinking, "Oh, is that all. OK go ahead, do it, I'll pay you that." (LOL) so I say, "OK."

So I go back to the living room and after a few minutes he calls me, "小姐" (xiaojie/Miss) and asks me to help him. I have wind/turn this thing kinda like a handle, it's easy to do and I guess much easier with 2 people than with one. He pulls out the most disgusting thing. I took a photo but won't post it here in case you are reading this whilst eating ;) It's basically grey mucky 'gunk' with dust and fluff and hair.. except it's worse because it's all WET and filled with caked soapy stuff. EW EW EW!!!

OK so he finished the job relatively quickly and I go to get the money except that I don't have 30RMB. Only 100RMB notes or smaller change. So I offer him the 100RMB and he doesn't have any change for me and then says, "Oh, don't worry about it and just walks out the front door." Ha! How weird...

No comments: