Friday 19 October 2007

Zhongshan Park

Yesterday I decided to do something different and do some 'exploring' which didn't involve shopping.

I took myself to Zhongshan Park (which is not far away) and had a poke around. After I walked around for 2 hours photographing various things I stumbled across the map (why didn't I see it when I first entered?) and realised I had only seen about 1/3 or 1/4 of the park! ARGH! So I'll definitely have to go back for more :)

First of all I saw this sign which could be mis interpreted.



Then I saw a stone carving on a bridge



Shuttlecock sitting amongst some leaves



A woman practising fan dancing



Father or grandfather with (grand)daughter riding a mechanical boat which you can hire



Couple sunbaking enjoying the glorious sunshine



Schoolchildren going for a picnic in the park



A man flying a kite



A dead? moth sitting on a bamboo leaf



Amazing clouds against the blue sky



Dodgem car boats



and more! (you can see more pics at my flickr account).

Now I should probably write some facts about the park...
* The park was established in 1914
* There are quite a few Zhongshan parks in China, named after Dr Sun Yat-sen, also known as Sun Zhongshan. This one in Shanghai was named in 1944.

That's all I cound find on Wikipedia.. other than that, it is HUGE!
* And supposed to have European, Chinese and Japanese design in the gardens and species.
* There are all sorts of weird and crazy amusement rides spread around the park too.
* The suburb is named for the park, and the suburb is also quite huge, encompassing three railway lines, a huge mall (Cloud Nine) and hotels, restaurants, and other shopping areas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Zhongshan Park, I just live close to there whenever I'm in SH.

Love cloud9 mall, too bad it's too little people shopping inside the mall.