Thursday 11 September 2008

Happy mid-Autumn August Moon Festival 2008


It's that time of year!

If you want to read more about this festival check out Wikipedia. The Mid-Autumn Festival falls on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month which, this year, is September 14th.

I LOVE mooncakes! I love the creamy lotus filling, I like them with or without egg yolks (although growing up I was always reminded if we tried to bring in anything with egg yolks through customs they would be confiscated... but stores still sold egg yolk ones), hate the nut ones, and well... I just savour them (since they are pretty expensive for their size!) but sometimes I'm just greedy and eat a whole one in one sitting (guilty pleasure...). Growing up we were reminded time and time again how expensive they were and my mum or dad would cut each one into 8 tiny pieces and it would last us a few days or so, and I'd have to fight my sister for the last piece! I used to keep and collect the pretty metal tin packaging too...

Instead of posting my own photos I decided to find a few I liked on Flickr...

1. Vietnamese pig and piglets, 2. Untitled, 3. My Hand-made "HELLO KITTY" moon cake, 4. Assorted Mooncakes, 5. Taiwan's Ten Ren Tea Moon Cakes 天仁茶月饼 [喫茶趣], 6. Wing Wah moon cake, 7. 四黃白蓮蓉月餅 from 榮華, 8. 08.08.07 - Hello Kitty Mooncake, 9. 基隆詠盛餅店蛋黃酥斷面 Yolk Moon Cake


and more!

Check out THESE amazing mooncakes!

Recipe on how to make chocolate mooncakes!

No comments: