Monday 18 February 2008

Orkut - Google's answer to Facebook

I consider myself a fairly net savvy person. I usually know most things going on around the 'net, web, or whatever you call it.. Anyway, I happened to see "Orkut" mentioned on some forum I found through Google. Curious, I went to look it up to see what it was all about. I had never heard of it before.

According to Wikipedia Orkut is a

social network service which is run by Google and named after its creator, Google employee Orkut Büyükkökten. It claims to be designed to help users meet new friends and maintain existing relationships. Similar to Facebook, Friendster and MySpace, Orkut goes a step further by permitting the creation of easy-to-set-up simple forums (called "communities") of users...

Orkut is the most visited website in Brazil, being more visited than Google Brazil, number 2 on the list. In total visits, Google is probably still more popular since it appears as the second (the Brazilian version) and seventh most visited site (the international version).

The initial target market for orkut was the United States, but the majority of its users are in Brazil.[2] In fact, as of January 2008, 55.32% of the traffic come from Brazil, followed by 16.53% from India.


Hmm... I signed in through my gmail account and see who on my contacts list (address book) it could find) - one Indian person and one Brazilian person! Haha! I don't think many people in Australia have heard of it, and I don't think anyone (that I know of) in the Australia or US uses the site. I'm wondering for something that come from Google why it isn't more popular?

Weird...

No comments: